Security forces cannot use excessive force in AFSPA areas:
- Supreme Court July 9, 2016No comments The Supreme Court of India has ruled that army and paramilitary forces cannot use excessive and retaliatory force during counter-insurgency operations in disturbed areas declared disturbed under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA), 1958.
- The verdict was given by SC bench of Justice Madan B. Lokur and Justice Uday Umesh Lalit on the plea filed by the Extra Judicial Execution Victim Families Association (EEVFAM).
- In the plea EEVFAM had sought a SIT probe into the killing of 1,528 persons by the Manipur Police and security forces since 1978.
Supreme Court Ruling
- The use of excessive force or retaliatory force by the armed forces of the Union or Manipur Police is not permissible.
- Criminal courts have the jurisdiction over cases of alleged excesses by security forces which earlier were under blanket of immunity provided by AFSPA.
- Armed forces should refrain from resorting to excessive fire power in counter-insurgency operations.
- When state uses such retaliatory force leading to death of people, it is referred to as an extra-judicial killing or an extra-judicial execution or as it is called administrative liquidation.
Kalyanakrishnan took over as Chief Executive of Nuclear Fuel Complex
- June 14, 2016No comments Distinguished scientist G Kalyanakrishnan has taken charge as Chief Executive of Hydereabad based Nuclear Fuel Complex (NFC).
- He took over the charge in place of Dr N Saibaba, who had retired on completion of two years of extended period of service.
- In this capacity, Kalyanakrishnan will also be the Chairman of the NFC Board. Prior to this appointment, Kalyanakrishnan was Deputy Chief Executive of NFC.
- About G Kalyanakrishnan G Kalyanakrishnan had joined Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in 1980.
- He has a vast experience in erection and commissioning and operation of heavy water plants. He made several pioneering contributions in streamlining various operations and activities of the heavy water plants.
- He has played a key role in supply of reactor components for the forthcoming 500 MWe Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor (PFBR), being constructed at Kalpakkam.
- About Nuclear Fuel Complex (NFC) The NFC is a major industrial unit of Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), for the supply of nuclear fuel bundles and reactor core components.
- It was established in 1971 and has its headquarters at Hyderabad, Telangana.
- It is India’s unique nuclear facility where natural and enriched uranium fuel, zirconium alloy cladding and reactor core components are manufactured under single roof.
PM Modi inaugurates terminal building of Vadodara airport
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the integrated terminal building of Vadodara Airport in Gujarat.
- Now, the two airports (Kochi and Vadodara) have joined the green movement in the country.
- PM Modi also inaugurated event to distribute artificial limbs and other implements to more than 8 thousand “Divyangs” in the city.
- The event has been jointly organized by the Artificial Limb Manufacturing Corporation of India (Kanpur-based), the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and Vadodara district administration.
Capital Area Bank first to get small finance bank licence from RBI
- March 7, 2016No comments Jalandhar based Capital Local Area Bank (CLAB) Limited became the first financial entity in India to get Small Financial Bank Licence by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- CLAB ltd claims to be largest local bank in the country with total 44 branches in five districts of Punjab.
- It will begin its operations as a small finance bank from April 13, 2016 and it will focus on the northern region for first five years of operations.
Background Earlier in September 2015,
- RBI has granted in principle approval to 10 entities including CLAB ltd to set up small finance banks to provide basic banking services to small farmers and micro industries.
- The in-principle approval had enabled these entities comply with the guidelines on Small Finance Banks and the approval will be valid for 18 months.
- About Small Finance Bank The small finance bank will undertake basic banking activities of acceptance of deposits and lending to unserved and underserved to further financial inclusion in the country.
- It will provide banking facilities to the unbanked sections and thereby boosting saving habits.
- It will mainly target small business units, marginal farmers and unorganised sector entities through high technology-low cost operations.
Fifth Tawang festival starts at Tawang town Arunachal PradeshThree-day “Tawang festival” has started at historic Tawang town in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The festival has begun with a religious procession (Sebang) carried out by monks from Tawang monastery to the festival ground.
- 18 exhibition stalls were set up, amongst which Monpa stall from Mukto and Lumla demonstrated the process of handmade paper.
Kabaddi World Cup: India beat Iran to win third consecutive titleA brilliant second half performance saw India stage a memorable comeback as they beat Iran 38-29 in the title clash to lift the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup.· For India, Ajay Thakur was the marquee man with 12 points and saw good support from Nitin Tomar from the bench with six points.