British – Indian Professor receives “Knighthood” from Queen:
- Shankar Balasubramanian, an Indian – Origin British Professor of Chemistry, has received a Knighthood from Queen Elizabeth-II for his contribution to the field of science and medicine.
- Herchel Smith Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at Cambridge University, has been recognized for his work as a co-inventor of “Next Generation DNA” sequencing, described as the most transformational advance in biology and medicine for decades.
- His work has spawned an entirely new, discipline of “Bioinformatics”.
Justice Saqib Nisar appointed as Chief Justice of Pak:
- Justice Mian Saqib Nisar was appointed as the 25th Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) on 31st December, 2016.
- Nisar has replaced Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali, who retired on December 30. After serving as the Chief Justice for 15 months since his appointment in September 2015.
- President Mamnoon Hussain administered the oath to Justice Nisar during a ceremony held at President’s House in Islamabad.
Amazon wins patent to launch Drone Deliveries:
- E-Commerce leader Amazon. Com (AMZN) has been awarded a US-patent for a flying warehouse that would act as a launch pad for its drones that the company plans to use to deliver certain products to customers doorsteps.
- It says it will use UAV or “Unmanned aerial Vehicles” (drones) to deliver items from airborne fulfillment centers, or AFCs to customers.
- When an order is placed, a drone or UAV will fly down and deliver the parcels.
Mobile app for Indian Merchant Navy officers launched
- The Maritime Union of India (MUI), country’s oldest union representing Indian Merchant Navy Officers since 1939, has launched android based mobile app named MUI.
- The app was launched in the presence of MPs Kirit Somaiya (Mumbai North-East constituency) and Gajendra Singh Shekhawat (Jodhpur) recently, said a senior member of the Union.
- The app is aimed at connecting the maritime fraternity across the country to facilitate and enable Indian merchant navy officers to share comments, knowledge and other things related to their profession.
India, Pak exchange lists of nuclear sites:
- The agreement on the prohibition of Attack against Nuclear Installations between India and Pakistan was signed on December 31.
- Both countries also exchanged lists of nationals (including civilian prisoners and fishermen) of each country lodged in Jails of the other one.
- This is the 26th consecutive exchange of such lists between the two countries, the first one having taken place on January 1, 1992.
Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa Takes Charge As IAF Chief
- Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa took over as the Chief of the Indian Air Force after Former Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha retired from post.
- The present Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa developed the country’s aerial targeting philosophy against potential adversaries and transformed the concepts of air operations of the Indian Air Force to contemporary war fighting practices.
- Dhanoa, who is the 25th chief of the IAF since Independence, was commissioned in the IAF in June 1978 as a fighter pilot
Sikkim became India’s First Fully Organic State in 2016:
- Sikkim has become India’s first fully organic state by converting around 75,000 hectares of agricultural land in sustainable cultivation.
- We have achieved fully-organic status in the end of December. PM Narendra Modi will formally announce that at a sustainable agricultural conference in Gangtok on 18 January, Sikkim Organic Mission’s executive director Dr. Anbalagan told it.
China announces ban on ivory trade by end of 2017:
- China says it will ban all domestic ivory trade ivory market in a move wildlife conservationists believe will help curb elephant poaching in Africa.
- China is one of the biggest global markets for ivory, where it is used a precious material in Jewelry, furniture, sometimes even in Chinese medicine.
PSPCL AWARDED BY CBIP
- Punjab State Power Corporation Limited (PSPCL) has been awarded as “Best Performing Power Distribution Utility in Power Sector” by Central Board of Irrigation & Power (CBIP).
- The award was presented to Karan Deep Chaudhri, Chairman-cum-Managing Director, PSPSCL by Union Minister Sanjeev Kumar Balyan Minister in Ministry of Water Resources River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, in New Delhi.
- PSPCL has been awarded on the basis of outstanding contribution to Punjab by providing reliable 24×7 cost effective electricity to all categories of consumers and over all development through optimization of available resources, bringing transparency and ensuring ease of doing business through information Technology initiatives specially in distribution sector.
Agni-IV Missile Successfully test fired:
- The flight- trial of India’s long range, strategic ballistic missile, Agni-IV, on Monday from a road – mobile launcher on Abdul Kalam Island, off odisha coast, was a grand success.
- Agni-IV is a two stage, surface to surface missile that can travel 4,000 km and can carry a nuclear warhead weighing one tonne.
- Agni-V has a range more than 5000 km. The Strategic Forces Command of the Army fired the Agni – IV.
Pointers on PM’s Speech:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced two housing schemes, tax incentives for small traders, interest rebate for farmers and monetary assistance for pregnant women.
- In a big relief to house buyers, New schemes under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana were announced. Now get 4% interest relief on home loan up to 9 lakh rupees.
- And 3% cut for home loan up to 12 lakh rupees.
NRIs can exchange defunct notes up to June 30: RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India has allowed non-resident Indians (NRIs) to exchange defunctioned Rs.500 and Rs.1000 notes till June 30, 2017.
- This facility will be available through RBI offices in Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Nagpur.
- Resident Indian citizens who failed to deposit old notes and were abroad between November 9 and December 30, 2016 can avail themselves of this facility up to March 31st, 2017.