International Forum on adopting ICT Perspective to Education and Learning begins in New Delhi
- The International Forum on adopting ICT Perspective to Education and Learning has begun in New Delhi.
- It will be held from 31th October to 4th November 2016.
- It has been organised by the International Bureau of Education (IBE), UNESCO in partnership with Google and the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The forum targets mainly countries which are implementing the UNESCO developed General Education Quality Analysis Framework (GEQAF)
- Participating countries include Egypt, Azerbaijan, Botswana, Gabon, India, Lithuania, Oman, Seychelles, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Mauritius, US and Swaziland.
- It has been designed differently than the common practice of conferences and workshop characterized by extensive presentations.
- It seeks to build on concrete cases of ICT integration and inclusion thought practical hands-on activities.
- Best practice cases from countries will be presented. About International Bureau of Education (IBE) IBE is a UNESCO category 1 institute mandated as the Centre of Excellence in curriculum and related matters.
- It supports countries efforts both through direct technical assistance and also by proving platform to share experiences and best practices from around the world.
- It also helps to build country’s capacity to harness technology to strengthen education systems for sustained improvement of education quality, equity and inclusion.
State Bank of India cuts home loans to lowest in 6years
- State Bank of India (SBI) has cut home loan rates to a 9.1% -the lowest in six years -as part of a festive scheme.
- Home loans for women (or loans with women as co-borrowers) will be available for 20bps above the benchmark rate, which translates into 9.1%.
Three Malayalam films in IFFI Panorama
- Three feature films from Malayalam have been selected for the Indian Panorama at the 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) to be held in Goa in November.
- Roopantharam directed by M.B. Padmakumar, Kaadu Pookkunna Neram directed by Dr. Biju, andVeeram by Jayaraj are the Malayalam films in the list.
Fourth Women’s Asian Champions Trophy Hockey
- The Indian women’s team registered a 2-0 win over Malaysia in its third pool match of the fourth women’s Asian Champions Trophy hockey.
India remained at the top of the table, above Korea, China, Japan, and Malaysia, with seven points
Benami Transactions Amendment Act to curb black money comes into effect
- The Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Amendment Act, 2016 came into effect on 1 November 2016. The Act was formulated to curb black money.
- An official release of Central Board of Direct Taxes said, after coming into effect, the existing Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Act, 1988 will be renamed as the Prohibition of Benami Property Transactions (PBPT) Act, 1988.
- The new legislation provides for seven years imprisonment and fine for those indulging in illegal transactions. The previous Act provided for up to three years if imprisonment or fine or both. It says that properties held as Benami are liable for confiscation by the government without payment of compensation.
- The act has amended the definition of benami transactions and establishes adjudicating authorities and an Appellate Tribunal to deal with benami transactions