Current Affairs: 13 October 2016
First BRICS Trade Fair & Exhibition begins in Delhi
- Three-day first RICS Trade Fair and Exhibition begins in Delhi.
- The fair will be a platform for the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries to exhibit state-of-the-art technologies and advances made in industrial development.
- The theme of the trade fair is Building BRICS – Innovation for Collaboration.
- The focus of the fair is to showcase some of the best technologies available across BRICS nations to address BRICS countries main development challenges.
- It will also focus on Start-ups, to bring together young entrepreneurs from across BRICS nations on this platform.
BRICS Science, technology and Innovation Ministerial Meeting at Jaipur
- The fourth BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial meeting were convened at Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- The meeting was chaired by the Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- The purpose of the meeting was to further strengthen the collaboration amongst the BRICS countries in the areas of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI).
- The meeting adopted a five-pronged approach (Institution Building, Implementation, Innovation, Integration and Continuity).
Morocco king reappoints Abdelilah Benkirane as PM
- The leader of Morocco’s Islamic Justice and Development Party (PJD) Abdelilah Benkirane has been appointed as the country’s prime minister for another term.
- This will be Benkirane second term as Prime Minister of Morocco.
- He has been serving as Prime Minister in a coalition government since November 2011
Sir Ian McKellen honoured at UK Theatre Awards
- Veteran actor Sir Ian McKellen (77-year) has honoured with the Outstanding Contribution to British Theatre prize at the UK Theatre Awards.
- He also known for his roles in the “X-Men” and “Lord Of The Rings” film franchises.
- McKellen’s theatre career has spanned six decades and seen him perform at theatres all over the UK.
Style icon Parmeshwar Godrej passes away
- Godrej group chairman Adi Godrej’s wife Parmeshwar Godrej (70-year) has passed away after a prolonged illness in Mumbai.
- She was Mumbai’s original queen bee and will be fondly remembered as a style icon.
- Earlier, she joined hands with actor Richard Gere, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Clinton Global Initiative to combat AIDS through the launch of the ‘Heroes Project‘ in 2004.
Tamim Iqbal 1st Bangladeshi to reach 5,000 ODI runs
- Bangladeshi left-hander batsman Tamim Iqbal (27-year) has become the country’s first player to register 5,000 runs in One Day International (ODI)cricket.
- Tamim also tops the list of the highest total score and highest innings score for Bangladesh across all three forms of the game.
International Day for Disaster Reduction observed
- International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) was observed globally on 13 October 2016 with theme Live to Tell: Raising Awareness, Reducing Mortality.
- The day encourages every citizen and government to take part in building more disaster resilient communities and nations.
Union Government to invest Rs 15000 crore to increase Panipat oil refinery capacity
- The Union Government has decided to invest 15,000 crore rupees to increase the capacity of Panipat refinery in Haryana to 25 Million Tonnes from existing 15 Million Tonnes.
- Besides, Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) will also set up bio-ethanol plant in Panipat with a cost of 500 crore to generate alternative fuel from agricultural residue which would boost agriculture sector.