Justice Reddy committee on One Rank One Pension submits report
- The one-man judicial committee on One Rank One Pension submitted its report to the Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar.
- The Central Government had appointed the committee under the Chairmanship of Justice L Narasimha Reddy retired Chief Justice of Patna High Court.
MMTC ties up with major banks to retail gold coins Public sector major
- MMTC (Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation of India) has joined hands with seven banks including HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and Andhra Bank to retail gold coins with a new buyback option.
- Besides its own outlets across the country, MMTC has tied up with Indian Overseas Bank, Vijaya Bank, Federal Bank, YES Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and Andhra Bank to sell gold coins in denominations of 5 gm and 10 gm coin and 20 gm bar.
- MMTC has also announced a transparent buyback of gold coins made of recycled gold.
Sunil Bharti Mittal elected as GSMA Chairman Bharti Enterprises
Founder and Chairman Sunil Mittal has been elected as GSMA (Global System Mobile Association) Chairman for a two-year period from January 2017 through December 2018.
- Current GSMA Chairman Jon Fredrik Baksaas will step down from the Board at the end of 2016.
- Mittal, who is the first Indian to be elected as Chairman of global telecom industry board, will oversee the strategic direction of the organisation, which represents nearly 800 of the world’s mobile operators, as well as more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem.
Govt notifies revised DTAA with South Korea
Gavaskar appointed ‘Stroke Ambassador’ Former Indian Cricketer Sunil Gavaskar has been named as ‘Stroke Ambassador of India’.
- India and South Korea on 26 October 2016 signed a revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- The Provisions of the new DTAA will have effect in India in respect of income derived in fiscal years beginning on or after 1 April 2017.
- The Indian Stroke Association which is hosting the World Stroke Congress (WSC) along with World Stroke Organization (WSO) made this announcement.
- Stroke is a leading cause of disability and death worldwide.
- Gavaskar is happy to be “The Stroke Ambassador for India” to create awareness that strokes are treatable.
- World Stroke day is observed on 29th October in every year. This is the first time that India is hosting the WSC meeting.
Dr. Ajay M. Gondane appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Australia
- Dr. Ajay M. Gondane has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Australia.
- Currently he is working as the Additional Secretary (Political) in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- He has previously served as High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea and as Deputy Consul General of India in New York.
Salim Gangadharan appointed non-executive chairman of South Indian Bank
- Former Reserve Bank of India chief general manager Salim Gangadharan is appointed as the next non-executive chairman of South Indian Bank.
- Gangadharan will replace Amitabha Guha will resign on November 1, 2016.
- He has been independent director in the bank since January 2014 and he retired from RBI as principal chief general manager.
Karnal Singh appointed as chief of Enforcement Directorate Senior
- IPS officer Karnal Singh on 25 Oct 2016 was appointed the chief of Enforcement Directorate(ED), the agency entrusted with probing money laundering cases.
- The appointments committee of the cabinet has approved the appointment of Singh as director, Enforcement Directorate (ED) till August 31, 2017, ie the date of his superannuation.
Nadia Murad and Lamiya Aji Bashar wins 2016 Sakharov Prize
- Two Yazidi women, Nadia Murad Basee and Lamiya Aji Bashar, who escaped sexual enslavement by Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in Iraq, have won Europe’s top human rights award, the Sakharov prize.
- The announcement of the year’s joint laureates was made following a decision by European Parliament on 27 October 2016.
- Basee and Bashar were among thousands of Yazidi girls and women abducted by ISIS militants and forced into sexual slavery in 2014. But, both survived and now campaign for the Yazidi community.
- It is awarded annually awarded in memory of Andrei Sakharov, a Soviet scientist and dissident.
- The prize is accompanied by an award of 50000 Euro. In 2015, the prize was awarded to Raif Badawi.